MAT FINANCE MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION
Multi-Academy Trust Finance Manager Job Description – with expertise in securing funds for primary schools
The Multi-Academy Trust is seeking a highly skilled and experienced Finance Manager. The ideal candidate will possess in-depth knowledge and expertise in financial management and have excellent knowledge of the funding structures of Multi-Academy Trust (MAT) primary schools and sources of funds from local authorities and other bodies.
The Finance Manager will be responsible for overseeing the financial operations of the Trust, managing budgets, ensuring compliance with financial regulations, and playing a forceful role in securing funding for the Trust’s schools.
- Manage the financial operations of the Trust, including budgeting, forecasting, financial reporting, and analysis.
- Collaborate with school leaders to develop long-term financial plans and strategies that are aligned with the Trust’s objectives.
- Provide financial guidance and support to schools in budget planning, resource allocation, and financial decision-making.
- Provide training and support to school staff on financial management matters, including budgeting, grant applications, and financial reporting.
- Prepare accurate and timely financial reports, statements, and analysis for the Trust’s leadership team and board of trustees.
- Ensure compliance with accounting standards and regulatory requirements.
- Support internal and external audits, servicing any audit enquiries, and addressing any financial issues or concerns that arise.
- Develop and implement strategies to secure funding for schools within the Trust. This includes identifying funding opportunities, preparing grant applications, and liaising with relevant authorities to maximize funding opportunities.
- Build and maintain effective relationships with funding bodies, local authorities, and other relevant organisations to enhance funding opportunities for the Trust. Stay informed about national and local funding initiatives, grants, and schemes.
- Promote best practices in financial management across the Trust.
- Identify financial risks and implement appropriate control measures to mitigate them.
- Develop and maintain robust financial systems and processes to ensure accuracy, transparency, and accountability.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or a related field. A professional qualification in accounting is essential.
- Proven experience as a Finance Manager or similar role, preferably within the education sector or a multi-academy trust.
- Good knowledge of UK education funding systems, government grants, and funding opportunities for primary schools.
- Demonstrated experience in securing funds for schools through grant applications, fundraising, or other funding sources.
- Strong knowledge of financial management principles and practices, including budgeting, forecasting, financial analysis, and reporting.
- Excellent understanding of financial regulations, accounting standards, and compliance requirements.
- Proficiency in financial software and systems, such as accounting software, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to interpret financial data and provide strategic recommendations.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills to engage with Trust leadership, board of trustees, school staff at all levels, and importantly, external stakeholders such as potential funding staff.
- Be highly resilient to work and deadline pressures.
- Be easy to get on with, has the maturity to work in a demanding management structure and the diplomatic strength to manage upward relationships.
- Leadership abilities to manage and motivate a finance team.
- High level of integrity, discretion, and attention to detail.